Sunday, August 24, 2008

Only one grocery store

Well this will be a little short. But I can't figure out why Port St Joe has only one grocery store. I remember I'll say 8 years ago we had three, Saveway, Piggly Wiggly and Rich's IGA which was my favorite. They had the best meat and a little cheaper prices. I remember three drug stores Smith's, Campbells and Buzzetts. We had one car dealership, Ford Motor Co., four clothings stores, Costin's Dept. my favorite, Boyles, Mallots and Carps. The last two were a little more cheap stuff. And the last few things were about 25 years ago. But still we had all that and things were good. Now we have one store that could help out the town by lowering his prices. The older people have it tough they have no other place to shop because they can't go to Panama City. If Piggly Wiggly has the only store then the prices should be lower then we wouldn't have to go to Wal-Mart or Sam's.Even Apalachicola has two grocery stores. I know that we once had a meat market called The Butcher Shop we had the best meat any where but for some reason the people ( locals) wouldn't shop. But the tourist sure did but we couldn't make it with just tourist. We were just a little store that tried to make it here and couldn't, but everyone would come in and say I hate to go over to that other store they are so high, but they went anyway. Maybe like Matthew says, I am just venting but I don't like to go to Panama to buy food. And I don't understand why one story has the monolopy on a grocery and the prices are higher than any place else. Since he does have the only place to shop and get 80 per cent of the people why can't he lower his prices and make it eaiser on everyone.

1 comment:

The Traveling Turtle said...

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! This whole blog is the #1 gripe I have with PSJ. You have to drive a stinking HOUR to get anything done. It is so irritating.